Are you the next member of #TeamWatsi?
Watsi is a nonprofit that leverages technology to finance healthcare for those in need around the world. At Watsi, we’re excited about bringing people together to do good and have been a leader in the tech for good movement since our founding in 2012. We put radical transparency at the heart of what we do and ensure 100% of public donations on watsi.org directly fund healthcare. We’re a small, remote-first team that believes everyone deserves access to healthcare.
We’re looking for a Lead Software Engineer (part-time at 75% FTE) to join our team to help us run our crowdfunding technology platform. You will be responsible for building and maintaining our platform using technologies including Heroku, React, Ruby on Rails, Postgresql, and AWS.
The ideal candidate is a self-directed, product-focused generalist who’s excited to work on whatever is needed to bring healthcare to the world – everything from optimizing donation payment flows to supporting a patient reporting system for our medical partners around the world. At Watsi, the code we write impacts people’s lives by creating a direct link from those in need of access to healthcare to those who can help.
What you'll work on:
- You'll truly own the full development stack of our platform: running deployment, managing infrastructure and hosting, as well as designing and building new end-to-end features
- You’ll contribute to evolving our product and engineering processes as we grow
- You’ll build solutions to address usability and scalability concerns as we discover them
- You’ll improve the reliability and security of our systems with rigorous testing and security best practices
- You’ll advise our executive team on technology strategy, decisions, and investments
- You’ll be the technology and engineering go-to for strategic execution and technical expertise
Who you are:
- 5+ years of full-stack software engineering experience
- You are self-driven and self-directed
- You are pragmatic in your approach to programming and care more about the impact a product produces than the framework or languages you use to build it
- You have worked in large code bases
- You’re data-driven and have an uncanny ability to convert data points into actionable improvements
Note that the above skills are highly valued for this role, however, being self-driven and your ability to learn quickly will help offset gaps in specific technical skills. While being proficient with our technologies will strengthen your application, we don’t expect you to be an expert in every one of them. We plan for a detailed onboarding process to ensure the right candidate can get up to speed quickly.
What it’s like to work at Watsi:
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." — Annie Dillard
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact people’s ability to access healthcare and be part of building technology and a movement of people-powered, tech-catalyzed philanthropy
- You will partner with a small, kind, and globally distributed team enjoying a flexible schedule, unlimited PTO, and great benefits. This opportunity on our team is preferred as a part-time role at 75% FTE, but we are open to full-time candidates. The full-time salary range for this role is $100,000-$120,000 (equating to $75,000-$90,000 at 75% FTE), depending on experience and location.
- You will join an organization that strives to build an inclusive culture made up of people as diverse as those we exist to serve — we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, including international candidates
If this sounds exciting to you, please send your resume and a bit about why you're interested in Watsi to email@example.com with "Lead Software Engineer (Your First Initial and Last Name)" in the subject line. We can't wait to hear from you!
More about Watsi:
Since our founding in 2012, Watsi has raised more than $15M to fund life-changing healthcare for 25,000+ people across 31 countries. We’ve been featured in The New York Times, NPR, and The Wall Street Journal, and were the first non-profit funded by Y Combinator.
The Watsi Team
Everyone deserves healthcare.
If you liked this post, check out
World Humanitarian Day Edition: How Sophie and Chris’s shared compassion is changing patients' lives
Meet Sophie, a humanitarian worker, an art enthusiast, and a visionary entrepreneur. Meet Chris, a perpetual force for good, an avid cyclist, Founder, and CEO at Blackthorn.io. Together, they blend art, tech, & heart, powering Watsi's mission. Read about their awe-inspiring journey today!…