Who we are
Watsi is a global health startup building a platform for administering the world's fastest-growing health insurance systems. We put patients first in everything we do, and are committed to helping countries around the world accelerate progress toward universal health coverage.
At Watsi, the code we write makes a direct impact on people’s health — whether by enabling patients to access services they previously couldn’t, or by helping health system administrators devise strategies to improve the quality and affordability of care.
Our fastest-growing program, Meso, is a technology platform to administer national health insurance systems. It’s expanding rapidly, and we’re looking to bring on a few senior software engineers on board to help build and scale health financing infrastructure that will serve millions of people.
Meso is a suite of mobile and web applications that streamline the core components required to run any national health insurance system. It runs on Android (Java and Kotlin), Ruby on Rails, React, and Redux. That said, we're not dogmatic about the technologies we use — we care most about using the right tool for the job — and we like to work with similarly pragmatic people.
Which brings us to...
What you'll work on
We’re searching for experienced, product-focused, collaborative, and most importantly, mission-driven engineers to join our team.
Here are a few ways your contributions will make an impact:
- Build mobile apps that will be used every day by health facilities in low-resource settings
- Improve and maintain the API that powers the platform synchronizing real-time health encounter data from health facilities
- Build interfaces to help health administrators manage their health facilities, as well as provide visualizations with insight into the cost, quality, and accessibility of care for their members
- Travel to East Africa as needed (sometimes for 1-2 weeks at a time) to develop technologies alongside the local health facilities and insurance agencies that will use them
- Contribute to evolving our product and engineering processes as we scale
- Help fellow engineers become the best they can be with thoughtful mentorship
- Guide architectural decisions to address scalability concerns as we discover them
- Improve the reliability and security of systems with rigorous testing and security best practices
What to expect at Watsi
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." — Annie Dillard
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact people’s ability to access healthcare — all while working with innovative technology to define a new industry
- You will have the freedom to work remotely — our globally distributed team spans three continents and enjoys a flexible schedule, plenty of vacation time, and great benefits
- You will collaborate with kind and interesting people — we’re proud to have photographers, surfers, pastry chefs, rock climbers, dancers, and Japanese comic aficionados in our midst
- You will join an organization that values building an inclusive culture made up of people as diverse as those we exist to serve — we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives
How to apply
We would love to hear from you. Please email your resume, GitHub, any work you're particularly proud of and a note about why you’re excited about the opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We care about building an inclusive team as diverse as the people we exist to serve. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
The Watsi Team
We're building technology to make universal health coverage possible.