Who we are
Watsi is a San Francisco-based nonprofit building technology to finance universal healthcare. We’re a small, agile team united by the belief that everyone deserves healthcare, and motivated by the opportunity to use technology as a massive lever for positive change in the world. So far, our work has helped make life-changing healthcare possible for more than 20,000 people in 23 countries.
At Watsi, the code we write makes a direct impact on people’s health — whether by enabling patients to access services they previously couldn’t, or by helping health system administrators devise strategies to improve the quality and affordability of care.
Our fastest-growing program, Watsi Coverage, is a technology platform to administer national health insurance systems. It’s expanding rapidly, and we’re looking to bring on a few senior software engineers to help build and scale health financing infrastructure that will serve millions of people.
Watsi Coverage is a suite of mobile and web applications that streamline the core components required to run any national health insurance system. It runs on Android (Java and Kotlin), Ruby on Rails, React, and Redux. That said, we're not dogmatic about the technologies we use — we care most about using the right tool for the job — and we like to work with similarly pragmatic people.
Which brings us to...
Who you are
We’re searching for experienced, product-focused, collaborative, and most importantly, mission-driven engineers to join our San Francisco-based team (for the right person and circumstance, we’re open to remote work).
Here are a few ways your contributions will make an impact:
- Build mobile apps that will be used every day by health facilities in low-resource settings
- Improve and maintain the API that powers the platform synchronizing real-time health encounter data from health facilities
- Build interfaces to help health administrators manage their health facilities, as well as provide visualizations with insight into the cost, quality, and accessibility of care for their members
- Travel to East Africa as needed (sometimes for 1-2 weeks at a time) to develop technologies alongside the local health facilities and insurance agencies that will use them
- Contribute to evolving our product and engineering processes as we scale
- Help fellow engineers become the best they can be with thoughtful mentorship
- Guide architectural decisions to address scalability concerns as we discover them
- Improve the reliability and security of systems with rigorous testing and security best practices
What to expect at Watsi
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." — Annie Dillard
- You’ll be surrounded by kind and interesting people — we’re proud to have photographers, surfers, rock climbers, musicians, dancers, and Japanese comic aficionados in our midst
- You’ll enjoy flexible working hours, plenty of vacation time, and great benefits — including medical, dental, and vision coverage, parental leave, and 401k with matching
- You’ll spend time in great environments — our office is in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission district and we travel regularly to the places we work (we will also provide whatever computer setup you desire, snacks galore, and a friendly office dog)
How to apply
If you’re as excited to work alongside fellow engineers in San Francisco as you are to gather product feedback from health workers in East Africa, we’d love to hear from you.
Please email your resume, GitHub, and any work you’re particularly proud of to email@example.com and we’ll get back to you either way.
We care about building an inclusive team as diverse as the people we exist to serve. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.