Are you Watsi's next Director of Product?
Watsi is a nonprofit startup that's building Meso, a technology platform for administering the world's fastest-growing health insurance systems. We put patients first in everything we do, and we are committed to accelerating progress towards universal health coverage.
We’re an early-stage team with an initial version of our product being used to provide health coverage to 10,000 people in Uganda. We’re preparing for large implementations and hiring a Director of Product to help define our product strategy, lead our product team, and collaborate closely with partners, users, and stakeholders around the world.
What you'll be responsible for
- Becoming an expert on our problem space and getting to know the challenges of our partners and end users like the back of your hand
- Guiding the definition of our product offering, strategy, and goals, representing these to the rest of the organization, and coordinating internally to see them through to execution
- Partnering with our CEO on product discovery, including traveling to visit prospective partners and establishing a symbiotic relationship between BD and product teams
- Working closely with large partners (e.g. governments) to scope and deploy our platform, including representing our product externally, educating partners about how technology can best serve their needs, and finding alignment in complex environments
- Leading our product team, managing our product managers and designers, and strengthening processes for discovery of user needs and contextual constraints
Who you are
- You have experience leading the development of enterprise products from inception to maturity, giving you the chance to see how your decisions played out
- You are excited to work with an early-stage product and help grow a small team
- You thrive in ambiguous and complex environments
- You have worked closely with engineering and design to collaboratively prioritize, design, build, and improve great products
- You are a strong communicator, emotionally intelligent, and able to collaborate effectively with many different types of people
- You have experience practicing user-centered design from first principles to inform product decisions
- You are excited to travel, often to East Africa, up to three months per year in multi-week trips
What it’s like to work at Watsi
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." — Annie Dillard
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact people’s ability to access healthcare — all while working to define a new industry in emerging markets
- You will have the freedom to work remotely — our globally distributed team spans three continents and enjoys flexible schedules, plenty of vacation time, and great benefits
- You will collaborate with kind and interesting people — we’re proud to have photographers, surfers, pastry chefs, rock climbers, dancers, and Japanese comic aficionados in our midst
- You will work alongside a talented team that has experience at top startups and whose work is supported by world-class funders including Y Combinator, Paul Graham, Ron Conway / SV Angel, and the Mulago Foundation
- You will join an organization that values building an inclusive culture made up of people as diverse as those we exist to serve — we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives
How to apply
If this opportunity is exciting to you, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Watsi Team
We're building technology to make universal health coverage possible.