Update: Our positions for summer 2016 engineering interns have been filled. If you'd like to be considered for next year, feel free to send something along
Watsi is a global crowdfunding platform that enables anyone to directly fund healthcare for people around the world.
We’re a team of engineers, designers, doctors, and marketers working at Watsi because we believe that everyone, everywhere deserves access to healthcare. We move fast, take risks, and come to work every day excited about building an organization that matters more than we do.
The Watsi platform is built on Ruby on Rails. On the crowdfunding side, we build tools to connect patients with donors across the world. On the medical operations side, we collect extensive data on patients, their diagnoses, and personal stories that allows us to quantify our impact.
For more info on the work we do, check out our recent trips to:
As a full stack engineer, your typical day may include the following:
- Working as an engineer (not an intern) on improving the platform, adding new features, and iterating on products.
- Pushing code to production starting day 1.
- Working with design to improve user experience for both donors and medical partners.
- Working closely with non-engineering on building better operational tools, gathering/analyzing data, and testing hypotheses.
- Participating in code review and responding to feedback.
- Pair programming
- Learning about the medical field - diagnoses, operations and how hospitals work.
- Attending meetings and providing feedback on products and design that move Watsi forward.
- Writing code that will help patients!
This is a job for someone who:
- Cares about the impact of your work.
- Wants to work at a small, focused, and fast company.
- Wants to work on challenging problems in healthcare, privacy, and scaling.
- Is interested in learning on product, growth, and management.
- Is interesting in improving code quality and writing a lot of it!
- Likes working in a team and being involved in many projects.
What we’re looking for:
- An understanding of MVC frameworks and object relationships.
- Experience with a dynamic languages (Ruby preferably, but Python, PHP, etc can help you learn Ruby)
- The ability to read and understand code.
- An understanding of test-driven development or how tests can be useful to applications.
- A good balance of backend/front-end work
Bonus points if you:
- Have used or are proficient in Ruby on Rails
- Have a good understanding of databases
- Are familiar with unit/controller/integration testing
- Have worked at a startup or a small team
- Are familiar with agile development
- Proper dev environment and set up (apple products galore)
- Flexible hours - we have suggested times when to be in the office, but work when and where you’re most productive!
- Fun hangouts with amazing people who all care about the mission of connecting donors to patients
- A chance to meet and visit one of our medical partners abroad
Equal Employment Opportunity
Watsi helps fund healthcare for people around the world, and in order to fully realize this goal, we need a team that can represent it. Watsi is an equal opportunity employer; applicants will not be discriminated based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, marital status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
If this sounds interesting to you, please send us an email with what you have (Github, LinkedIn, resume, etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org.